Tuesday 6 October 2009

Steph needs more words.

So here I am. Twenty-three, sitting alone in a lonely living room, listening to one of the two Regina Spektor songs in my library. My life isn't much. It's not something that's worth writing about. Ill never have a movie made me. (If my life were a movie, it would be the movie version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths) But it is my life, and I get up to stuff. I listen to music. I read books. I talk on the phone. I love. I laugh. I dance. I may not have been handed things on a silver plate like many people have. I may not have been given the opportunities that other have been given, I may not have as much ambition as others. But every Tuesday, I have this house to myself. And every Tuesday, you will find me, in this living room, with the blinds open, twirling with Morrissey, floating with Florence, dreaming with Bruce and being whisked away by Salinger.

So there. I feel like I have to justify myself to those twenty-three year olds who have achieved much more in their life than me. But I don't. At the end of the day, we are all the same. I will get where I want to be one day. Right now, this is my life. And I like it. Simple things make us the happiest.

Instead of concentrating on the things I don't have, and the things I haven't achieved. I'm going to start focusing on the things I do have, and the things I have achieved.

What I Have

My beautiful friends.
My job.
My brother.
My room.
My taste in music.
My ridiculous DVD collection.
My fear of failure.

What I Have Achieved

Self-contentment.
Happiness.
Forgiveness in myself.
Forgiveness in others.
A ridiculous DVD collection.
Change.

I love my life right now. No one can take that away from me. I love my life right now, but I'm not going to publish it daily on facebook, I'm not going to shout it from the rooftops, because I know there is so much more I can do with my life. I know I'm not finished. I'm not out yet. I still have so much more to give, and I have my whole life to do it.

No comments: