Wednesday 29 July 2009

3 and a half hours and some spilt milk.

Its a shift thats a stain on my contract. And I have two of them. Every Monday and Wednesday I work from 2.30 till 6 and 12.30 till 4 respectively. I can hear the question ringing round your head as I type this. 'What the hell is the point in that?!' Im sorry, but I dont have an answer for you. What I want to know is why these shifts are placed at strategically unsocial and inconvienant times in the day. Morrisons tell me, why mid afternoon when I could be doing something productive with my day? Anyways, thats beside the point. Today was 12.30 - 4.

I was ten minutes late. People think I do these things on purpose. Well, sometimes I do. But not all the time! Not today! Today the bus genuinely didnt show up. I blame the little brother. He took forever putting his socks on.

It was a pretty non adventurous day. I was in a fairly decent mood so I took time out of my head and thinking about stuff to actually speak to the customers. Sometimes. I even asked a few if they wanted a hand with their packing (the few that looked like they really didnt need it. The old ladies struggled on without my kind offer, dont want to make them feel invalidated). Julianne managed to sneak off her till (12 tills away) to come and chat to me and tell me that she was still in a mood with Lukasz because of some out of order things he said the other day. Lukasz is Polish. Europeans have a fairly different approach to telling someone that they like them. Lukasz's approach was to ask Julianne to Edinburgh on Friday, despite having a girlfriend and a baby. What was in Edinburgh I do not know, and Julianne isnt going to go find out unfortunately, so now she isnt speaking to him. But I am.

Staying away from the Butchers in Morrisons is for me what giving up cigarettes is to a chain smoker. It just cannot be done. If I have tangerines to take back their department, Ill go by way of the Butchers (which is at the other end of the store from the tangerine department). My manager had me chained to the till all day today (I say all day, what I mean is three and a half hours) so I wasnt able to get up to the butchers during my shift, but no amount of management can stop me from going there when Ive finished.

As I walk up to the butchers, Stephen, the FFPP (fresh food pre packed) department manager has spilt some milk. 'Stephen, what have you done now!' I yell, full in the knowledge that sexy Lukasz can see and hear me. 'It was your fault!' cries Lukasz with a look of childlike glee on his face. Either hes really glad to see me, or he likes making me look like a fool. 'Ah no it was your fault!' I cry back equally gleeful to see my favourite smiley Polish Butcher. We continue to banter like this for a few minutes, it goes a little something like this

Me: I love the smell of the butchers *large sniff as if Im enjoying it*
Lukasz: That is fucking disgusting (you have to imagine him saying it in a thick Polish accent, its much better with the accent)
Lukasz: What time you finish today?
Me: 4 :D
Lukasz: YES!
Me: Lukasz, your mean! I cant believe you would say that!
The joyous gleeful smile has returned to Lukasz face, hes clearly enjoying winding me up

This continues until the inevitable happens and I cant understand what hes saying. I misunderstand that he is calling me nasty and we sort things out. As I walk away he says

'Are you nasty?' Which I then reply 'Yes, Im very nasty!' and continue walking away.

All in all it was a successful Lukasz day, despite Julianne being in a mood with him - 'no, Im not talking to him, Im in a mood with him.' 'Are you really, Julianne?' 'No, I just like saying it'.

3 and a half hours can be fun sometimes.


No comments: